We had a Lord of The Rings marathon today so I thought I’d have a go at making some Lembas bread. For anyone not familiar with LotR (go read/watch now!) this is a special elven bread the fellowship are given at Lothlórien by the elves. There are quite a few recipes online for this and I had a good look through many before putting together my own which was more to my flavour taste and which thankfully worked. This recipe is somewhere between shortbread and a sweetbread I think!
I’d recommend the following recipes for alternative Lembas bread ideas:
- 3 Cups of Plain Flour
- 2/3 Cup of Single Cream
- 3 Teaspoons of Honey
- 1/2 Cup of cold Butter
- Vanilla Essence 1 drop
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
If you decide to Ice
- Icing Sugar 2 cups
- Green colourant
- 2 teaspoons of water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Also line two flat trays with baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the salt and baking powder before mixing together. Then add the cinnamon and nutmeg and stir it again.
- Add the butter and stir before using your fingers to turn it into breadcrumbs (if your fingers get sticky use a bit more flour).
- Mix in the sugar and then the honey.
- Next add the cream and vanilla essence and stir with a flat knife until a dough is formed. Use one hand to bring the dough together and then remove from the bowl.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for half an hour. I found it to be quite sticky due to the cream and honey so a bit of excess flour will help picking it up!
- After it’s chilled, roll out the dough onto a pre-floured surface and roll it until it’s a nice slightly chunky thickness. I found 1/2 an inch thick was best. If you’ve got a square cutter then use that or use a knife to cut 3 inch square shapes. They’re quite thick so you don’t want them too big!
- Place the dough pieces on the baking tray and use a knife to score an
‘x’ across them, making sure you don’t go right to the edge. Then bake for 10 minutes or until golden in colour!
- Let the bread cool first or it’ll all run. Mix up some green icing sugar and a smaller amount of white from icing sugar, colouring and water. Pipe the green icing in a rectangular shape over the centre of the lembas bread and then use the white to make a folded leaf effect- i’m sure you can do it neater than me!
Now you’re ready for a LotR marathon…. sit back and enjoy your Lembas bread!
If you want to see my other recipes, check Here
If you want to be awesome and receive updates when we post, fill in the form below-